Saturday, September 18, 2010

Prince: Partial Disengagments!

Sept 15 2010

One thing that I wanted to play with today was being efficient but without getting direct line. The one mistake I made though was that I didn't have a clear enough plan. So we were efficient but not progressive.

We did get some nice things done but it I had to stop and make a plan... then we got really efficient and progressive. We did sideways at the walk and trot. All I had to do to ask for the trot was pick up my energy and start jogging slowly and Prince started trotting. We also did Backwards "S", circles, Figure eights and some other things.

Prince cantered 14 laps to the right and 27 to the left but he was counter cantering for about 20 of those... so we had to play with that. Then once he was on the correct lead we had to get the connection. Part way through I switched to backwards "S" because Prince wasn't getting it. Once we did some of those and then went back to the circles Prince cantered 3 laps with connection and he was on the correct lead. So we ended there. I was really proud of how well Prince did though. He tried so hard and finally got it.

Then we rode. We had an interesting ride. It just proves that Online really does make a difference in our Freestyle and if your horses can't do it Online, he will probably have a hard time doing it while riding. Prince had a really hard time getting the correct leads and then he go on adrenaline and he would trot really, really fast before cantering plus when he came out of the canter he would do the same thing. So we had to play with that. I ended up doing partial disengagements from the trot to the walk and then once Prince was doing well with those I would ask for the canter, let him canter a couple strides and then we would come back down to the trot and do that.

Once Prince gave me a really nice transition into the canter and a nice one coming out of it we stopped. So Prince and I will be doing a lot of cantering and transitions Online for a while before we canter Freestyle again.

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment