Sunday, September 19, 2010

Twosox: Using the patterns...

Sept 18 2010

Since Twosox and I were in the lead coming home today when we went up to the riding ring he was worried as to where the other horses were, even though they were just in the corral. I knew that I had to gain his focus or else nothing would go well so we started out on the Weave pattern but it was to much of a straight line so we switched to Figure eights, and small ones. Pretty soon Twosox started relaxing and thinking about where he was going and what he was doing and in the end we got some really nice Figure eights! 
Then we went to the Weave and Twosox was much more relaxed. Pretty soon though he became more dominate so I had to change some strategies. Once the Weave was going well and Twosox was trotting it and not missing any tires we stopped. After that we did circles. I was just looking for Rhythm, Relaxation and Connection for one or two laps each way. once Twosox got that we stopped. 

We also did some Backwards "S" at first Twosox wasn't yielding so the porcupine game but by the end he was putting slack in the rope and yielding really nicely. 

The last thing we did was just simple squeezes between me and the fence. At first Twosox couldn't even walk between me and the fence!! It was interesting. I think that might have something to do with his issues with jumping, even though he is quite a bit better now. So we played with that until he could walk between me and the fence and not stop. Then we ended! 

At the end Twosox was calm and relaxed and really focused on what I was asking him to do. It was really nice.

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment