Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ruffian: Simple but interesting.

Sept 27 2010

Ruffian and I had so much fun today when we played. We started out with the Weave at the walk. Ruffian kept the belly of the rope on the ground the whole time and he was responding so well to just my body. It was really cool! For Ruffian to be that light is really an improvement for us. 

Then we did something a little bit different and I asked Ruffian to circle at a trot and jump the barrels that were in the middle of the riding ring. My goal was 4 laps and 4 jumps. Ruffian did well once he figured out what I wanted. He was really trying hard. One time though he decided not to jump and go between me and the barrels, I almost caught it but was just a little late and the rope got caught between his legs. He stopped instead of running off so I started walking in an arc out of zone 5 and to get the rope but he moved a little and the rope dragging really scared him. He galloped around the riding ring twice, all I could do was pray that he wouldn't crash through the rails because that would have been a disaster. But I was able to put some pressure (just a little bit) towards zone 1/2 and Ruffian trotted over to me. Praise the Lord!! 

After Ruffian calmed down we went back over to the barrels and continue. Ruffian didn't try to get away again so I am pretty sure that it was just an unfortunate event and not something he planned :)  Ruffian did the circles really well and jumped each time really nicely. So I brought him in and we chilled for a bit before moving on. 

I was really impressed at how well Ruffian was doing. He was willing to go but also willing to stop and just hang out. He also didn't go internal, even when I had to get to a higher phase so that was really neat also. 

We then played with the ball. Ruffian wasn't really sure what to do with it. So I asked him to push it for a little ways and then I just asked him to do something, anything, with it. After a bit he started asking questions and playing with it. It was really fun to watch. I then took the halter off and went and sat on the barrel. I wanted to see if Ruffian would do anything with it by himself. He tried scratching on it and then he pushed it around a bit. Where ever he went, the ball went. 

Then we finished up with some undemanding time and then I played with Prince! Ruffian did really well. It is so important though that I have a clear plan. I just can't go out and see what happens. Ruffian needs me to be a strong leader, yes we can still play and have fun but he needs to know that I am the leader and he is the follower. What is it that Mr. Parelli says... "Horses are natural followers looking for natural leaders" If I am not the leader Ruffian will be. It is either him or I. There is no in between! But then aren't all horses like that? Every horse wants a leader!! But each horse needs a different kind of leader!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment