Saturday, September 25, 2010

Prince: Respect, Impulsion and Flexion

Sept 22 2010

Prince and I had a really good playtime and ride today. We did some things a little bit differently than normal but it was good because I was able to test my savvy in some small ways. 
Prince and I went up to the riding ring at Liberty and I decided to stay at Liberty for a while and see what we could get done. What was interesting is that normally I don't play with Prince at Liberty at the beginning of our sessions so it was interesting to see how it was different. He stayed with me the whole time but he wasn't really putting effort into doing anything. He wasn't offering things and he was just kind of waiting for me to tell him what to do. 

So we went up to a barrel and I just wanted Prince to do something. So after a while of playing there we went and did some sideways from tire to tire, Weave at the walk and trot (our first time of trying it at the trot and Prince did amazingly well!), Figure eights, Stick to me at the walk/trot/canter and back-up. Prince picked up the correct leads almost 100% of the time! It was really amazing! 

The whole time we were playing at Liberty my goal was to get Prince motivated. At first he wasn't very motivated and he wasn't putting effort into what I was asking, even though he was doing what I asked. But with in 10-15 minutes Prince was way more motivated and he was putting a lot of effort into what I asked. The look on his face totally changed! It was really amazing!

Then the last thing we did was I sat on a barrel that was standing up on its end and I asked Prince to put me in zone 5. He caught on pretty quickly then we went Online. We refined our Stick to me transitions and got some really nice canter to halt to back up transitions. Then some other really nice, smooth transitions. Prince was so connected and he was picking up the correct leads. We also got some really nice jumping a single barrel. Prince was really willing to try and put a lot of effort into it.

Then I jumped up onto Prince, not to gracefully I will add but I still got up there ;) My plan today was to try cantering Prince bareback and see if he was able to pick up the correct leads. So we started out with some Follow the rail at the walk and trot. Prince was so smooth! Even when he trotted faster he still was comfortable to ride. When I asked for the canter I had to figure out what would be the best way to ask and still keep balanced. It took a couple tries but in the end we got it and Prince cantered  a couple strides. So I rewarded that. It was really easy actually and but the hardest part if asking for the canter but I think we are getting it. Prince did pick up the correct lead which was really nice.

The next time I asked for the canter Prince went into it relaxed, cantered a long ways and when I asked, he came out of it to a nice slow trot and then a stop. It was the most comfortable canter I have ever gotten on Prince and he was so relaxed! It felt wonderful!!

After a long rest, and lick and chew for both Prince and I, we did the Weave at the walk and I only had to use my carrot stick once!! On the way  back to where we started I really tried to use my body and even less of my leg and Prince responded really well. He followed my focus almost perfectly!!

Then we ended by riding down the hill into the corral. It was so much fun riding down the hill bareback! :) Prince stayed with me for a long time after I let him go. But I had to leave and get ready for work so I couldn't stay to long. It was such an amazing playtime though and Prince did so well!!

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. What a great success Keri, to get a nice relaxed canter AND downward transition. Way to go!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Trainee Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petra! :) It really was an amazing feeling!

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete