Saturday, September 11, 2010

Prince: Trail riding!

Sept 7 2010

Today my mom and I went on a trail ride. We rode Prince and Knightly and they did very well. To prepare Prince and I did some Stick to me, sideways, jumping, and some other things and then we left. Prince and I went down the steeper part of the hill

again. Then we went down our logging road and out the back gate. I got down to open the gate and Prince did so well. He stayed exactly where I told him to stay even when the gate was open and mom and Knightly had gone through. He just stood there waiting for me to let him know when he could go through. What a horse!!

We had a really nice ride. We road down the old railroad track and then took another trail. The old railroad track has gravel on it and so Prince wasn't totally comfortable walking on it. So his stride was shorter. After a while my back started hurting because I am not used to riding like that. I tried to ride on the edge as much as possible because it was softer but one time Prince sunk into the dirt and spooked. He jumped sideways but I stayed on and we carried on. I was a little surprised that Prince was uncomfortable walking on the gravel because we have lots of rocks on our property but it was a little different.

On the way home we did side passed from one side of the road to the other and back again. Prince did really well and even though they weren't perfect he still tried really hard. We decided to ride back home through town because it was shorter and I needed to get back to go to work. So we road right down main street. The horses did really well and even when vehicles were coming both directions they stayed calm. Prince and I took the lead and Mom and Knightly followed.

It was fun. I was hoping to do some cantering but Prince wasn't comfortable enough so I didn't push it. We did do some trotting and that was nice. Hopefully we can go out again soon :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment