Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lesson Day Review

Oct 23 2010

Today was the lesson day with the 3* Parelli Instructor. The day started out cloudy but around lunch time the sun came out and it was beautiful. There wasn't even any wind! It was perfect!

Mom and I got there early because I wanted to spend some time getting Prince ready. We went into the barn. First though we had to get through the door. I don't think Prince has ever been in a barn, with stalls and etc in the whole four years that I have had him. I decided to go through the small door, just to challenge us a bit. After a little bit of approach and retreat Prince was inside and I decided to let him explore it himself. So off he went. Of course I was close by to make sure he didn't eat anything he wasn't supposed too. After he had finished looking around he came back over to me and stood beside me. So we then went over and I brushed him. He has lost weight and is looking really good!! 

We then let him into of the the stalls and gave him some hay. Then brushed his mane and tail and that was done. Since we still had a long time I decided to hop on Prince while he ate. He didn't seem to mind. Once it got closer to the time the lesson was supposed to be starting and people were arriving I haltered Prince and we headed out. There was snow on the ground because it snowed last night so that made everything wet but once the sun came out it all melted... thankfully ;) I am not ready for snow right yet. 

The lesson was amazing and and I learned quite a bit. Most of it was little things and mainly porcupine games. We started with getting our hindquarter yields lighter and with more speed and distance. I was challenged to three complete 360 turns at a fast pace, and I mean it was fast! I thought ours were fast before but speed has been redefined for me ;) Prince and I got it in the end even though it could have been a bit better but I was happy with it. One thing Mr. Pyne (the instructor) was that we should be "Always pleased but never satisfied" (He was quoting Mr. Parelli). 
Then we had some time to play with other porcupine games and getting them more light, with more speed and also distance. Prince and I did forequarter yields, leading by the chin, backing up by the tail, and a few other things. 

Up next was porcupine sideways at a trot. This one I think was the hardest for Prince and myself of all the things we did in the lesson. Mr. Pyne said that for Prince he should be on a 90 degree angle. It really showed me how much help our sideways needs. But I think I already knew that in a small way. We were able to get it a little bit but I am definitely going to be focusing on that!! 

Then we did Stick to me with our horses behind us and the goal was to have the horse keep the same distance away from us, keeping the same amount of rope in the ground, no matter what we did whether it was running fast, stopping, walking, or backing up. Prince did well when we were going forward but stopping when I stopped was a bit harder for him. So what I did was every time I stopped I would back him up to where he was supposed to have stopped and let him rest there. The last couple ones we did were really good and Prince kept the same distance really well. 

After that was circles! Prince and I did circles with a log. What Mr. Pyne pointed out was that the reason that Prince was leaving and taking all the slack out the the rope when I sent him was because I was putting to much pressure on him at the send. Interesting! Immediately once I didn't put so much pressure on at the send Prince kept the connection around and we got some really nice half circles at the canter over the log with connection.

Then we rode!! We started with a lot of mounting and dis-mounting. Then we would do a lateral flexion, turn that into a indirect rein, then went to a direct rein and then walked off, then bent to a stop and got off. We did that at the walk, trot and some of us went into the canter. Prince and I did two at the canter and Prince did really well!!

Then we did the Bullseye pattern! We started out with me and Prince in the middle and Mr. Pyne demonstrating the circle, how to make corrections, the importance of going back to neutral, and other things. We did it over a log, which will eventually lead to jumping and keep it more interesting for the horse (and test us riders). Then once Mr. Pyne had demonstrated that and answered a couple questions it was my turn. We stayed at the walk for now just so that we could learn it. 

I was pretty happy with how well Prince did. I needed to correct him quite a few times at first but after a couple laps he started taking more of his responsibilities and staying on the circle. A couple times I didn't even have to use my reins. One thing that Mr. Pyne told me that really seemed to give me a new way of thinking about it was that he said that when ever I had to use my reins to make sure it was meaningful. So did Prince respond to it? Did he lean on it? Did he go right back to the direction he was going in before? It it mean something Prince? It got my wheels turning! 

After everyone had a turn we went back to the other end where all the auditors were and we had a little debrief over what we learned. The day seemed to go so fast! But it was totally worth it! Even if it was just for me to know that I am on the right track and didn't have any glaringly obvious bad habits or anything. I got some small, but extremely meaningful pointers and I am excited to see how Prince and I progress!! 

One major thing that I re-learned or was just re-established was the importance of always getting everything with more lightness, speed and distance!! And even when you think something is good, be always pleased but never satisfied!! Expect a lot, except a little and reward often!!

Another thing that somehow I didn't get the just how important it was, more so in our riding, is the power of going back to neutral. Let Prince make the mistake and then correct, then go back to neutral, or phase 1 again. Micromanaging can be as small as holding your rein 3 inches above your horses neck when he is doing what you want!!! I think that is one of the biggest small things that I got out of the lesson and already Prince has gotten better!!

Phases!! When you are riding... lift the rein straight up, eyes, belly button, leg, then use the rein. Be effective. Make sure it was meaningful.

Play assertive to ride soft! Basically the same as "Play strong to ride soft" but just worded a bit differently.

I know I learned a lot more but those were the major things. I think Prince and I are going to have a lot of fun with the Bullseye pattern. There are so many things you can do with it and having good, solid circles are so important!!!

Here is a short video with some pictures from the clinic and some video footage from a couple days before it. Of course that footage was taken before the clinic and so there are some things that I would definitely change in myself but anyway... it shows where we were at that time...






Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. Hi Keri, I'm glad you enjoyed your lesson. I love your horse's soft and alert, positive expression. Nice video!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Petra :) Your comments mean a lot. It definitely was a good day and I learned so much!!

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete