Thursday, October 28, 2010

Prince: Highs and Lows

Oct 25 2010

So this was Prince's and my first play session since the clinic and it had it's high points and low points but we learned a lot! 
Our circles were really amazing! Prince connected to me right away and had rhythm, relaxation and connection for almost a full circle!! It was really cool! We then went and played with our hindquarter and forequarter yields. Prince remembered really well and we got those three pivots of hindquarter yield and it was at a phase one. Prince put a lot of effort and we got the lightness, speed and distance.

Our challenge was in our sideways. I had a pretty good idea of what Prince was going to be like because of how he was on Saturday. The major thing that I learned was that I think Prince was been winning the sideways game in really subtle ways i.e. now completely yielding his hindquarters while going sideways. So that was a big challenge but we ended with Prince going about 10ft or so sideways with lightness and a little bit of speed. So that was a goo place to end. 

We then did traveling circles at the canter back up to the other end of the arena. Prince was connected the whole way! He did break gait a couple times but he tried really hard so I rewarded that. 

Our riding again had it's highs and lows. We started out with Follow the rail but Prince was a little bit impulsive so we switched to circles. WOW! Prince was fantastic! He was so good at the walk that we took it up to the trot and Prince was so light! The last couple circles I didn't have to use my reins to correct him and he was relaxed!! It was such a cool feeling!! 

Up next I decided to try some cantering in the round corral. Mr. Pyne had suggested that because on a circle it is harder for them to pick up the wrong leads. So I gave it a try. To the right Prince did really well and we got some really nice cantering but to the left Prince still had a really hard time. I had to get off a couple times and see if I could help him on the ground. Then once he was getting it correct there I mounted back up. It took a while but eventually Prince cantered to the left on the left lead and wasn't countering cantering, cross-firing or anything. He was cantering properly!! 

One thing that we have been having a lot of fun with is opening and closing gates! At home we don't have any gates that you can open or close while riding so Prince and I have been taking advantage of that while we are here. Prince has caught on really quickly and it is getting easier and easier every time. It is a lot of fun!!

One of the things I find the hardest is going back to neutral or a phase one when Prince is doing the right thing. I am nagging just a very little bit, even if it is just my having my hand up, that is not a phase 1, or if I have my leg on, that is not a phase 1 either. A phase 1 is your focus that is a phase 1. So I have to pay close attention to when I am asking Prince anything that I am going back to a phase one. Even if he goes right back to what he was doing before I still have to release. It has been challenging but now that I am aware of it I can watch out for when I am not doing it. 

Never ending self improvement!!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment