Saturday, October 30, 2010

Prince: 45ft line play and trail rides!

Oct 26 2010

Today Prince and I had a lot of fun playing in the fields on the 45ft line and then we went for a trail ride!

I was so proud of Prince and how well he did! He was incredible! We did circles at the canter and Prince kept the rhythm, relaxation and connection!! He didn't miss any leads either! We did LOTS of cantering. This is really one of the first times that Prince and I have had the chance to play on the 45ft line and really be able to play on it. The field was HUGE and so we did traveling circles, changes of directions, sideways, yo-yo's, and lots of other things. Prince listened really well.

I guess it proves that prior and proper preparation prevents poor performance! Prince and I have been preparing for this moment by playing on the 22ft line with quality so when we had the chance to play on the 45ft line it paid off!!

There were theses two really tall mounds of dirt with grass on them that Prince and I had a lot of fun with. The one was big enough to send Prince over lengthwise so we played with that at the trot then we did a change of direction and went the other way over it. Both Prince and I had so much fun!

After that we went into the bush and followed the trail back home. On the way home we played with one line zone 5 driving. We kept it simple and just did basic walk-halt-back up transitions. Prince did well and was really relaxed. 


Then we headed back home and saddled up, played in the arena a little bit and then mounted up, did a little bit of Follow the rail, transitions, sideways and then we were off!! My friend and her horse led on the way out and we did walk-trot-walk transitions. Prince did really well. The whole time I was testing to see how Prince responded to me and how light I could be, while still being effective. On the way back home we went through the bush. Which was fun because I got to play with our turning and see how in tune Prince was to me. We were zig-zagging  everywhere, around trees, over logs, etc. The whole time I hardly had to use my reins at all! Prince was so light!


On the way back to the arena, there is a small hill Prince and I cantered up that! I think it was the most relaxed, comfortable canter Prince has ever offered! Plus it was cantering properly so that helped :) 


One of the biggest things that I got out the lesson on Saturday and has made the biggest difference in our riding was the phases. About lifting your rein straight up, then going eyes, belly button, leg, then use your rein if you need too. That simple thing that made the absolute biggest difference in our riding. I am not sure if it is that Prince getting lighter or just that since I am being lighter and noticing how light he is. Which ever one it is though it is incredible the difference!

On the way back to the pasture where Prince is living we played with the stick to me like we did at the lesson, where your horse is behind you and is supposed to keep the same amount of slack in the rope no matter what you do, whether it is running, stopping, backing up etc. Prince is getting better each time but what I have been noticing is that if Prince is really light at going forward when I go forward he is not as good at stopping when I stop and visa versa. It is really interesting! So that is one thing we have been playing with and it is getting better each time.


Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment