Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ruffian: Hmmmm.... How Interesting!

Oct 4 2010

Yesterday I decided to take it easy with Ruffian and just groom him, not that he would stay clean long but I wanted to do it more for the sake of his confidence. I have to start off slow with him or else our whole session will be harder. If I take it slow and wait until he is ready to offer more than the session goes really well and Ruffian is confident. 
The interesting part was that when I got to zone 4/5 Ruffian got tense. Hmmm.... How Interesting! So I stayed there until he relaxed a bit and then carried on. I have to say, he looked really nice all groomed. With his mane all brushed and everything. I then took on the task of combing out his tail. It actually wasn't that bad. There was some mud but other than that it was pretty good. I didn't really care about what he looked like though. I wanted him to be confident with me in every zone. So doing Ruffian's tail and just being back there in zone 5 really helped with his confidence. After about 15 minutes Ruffian fell asleep. I was really happy about that. 

When I let Ruffian go he was confident and sleepy. Which was a great ending. I have a feeling that me taking the time to get him confident with me in zone 4/5 will really make a difference when I go to trim him on Wednesday!! :) 

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you really did the right thing for Ruffian. Good for you - and him :-)

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) It really made a huge difference when I trimmed him this morning! He was a hundred times more confident!

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete