Friday, October 22, 2010

Prince: Testing 1...2...3...

Oct 20 2010

Today my precious horse Prince left for two weeks. He is about 20 minutes away from here and I shall be going out to see him almost everyday to play and ride. He loaded into the trailer really well and off we went! My main focus for at least the next few days is getting everything done with relaxation! 
So when we arrived I let Prince graze for a couple minutes and then we headed over to the arena. We started with Backwards "S" Prince was light and responsive so we started playing around with getting him to shape his body more. At first I wasn't even sure what to look for exactly so we just played with it until I started to figure out what it looked like when Prince moved his ribs over and then shaped his body around me. Once he figured it out it went really well and he started to get it really good. 

Today was more of a testing day. I tested different things just to see where they were at and how I would need to improve them over the next couple days and weeks. This over all went really well. Prince even connected a little bit at the canter while he was circling. Though we didn't do a whole lot of circles at the canter. We did Traveling circles at the trot, Falling Leaf and the Weave. I kept to  my plan of aiming to get everything with relaxation. Prince was amazing!!

We even got to do some Figure eights at the canter!! Prince was fabulous! My other goal in a way is to do as many patterns as I can, especially the ones that I can't do here at home. But all the while maintaining the relationship and having fun! 

I didn't ask Prince to canter when we were riding. I wanted to get that better Online before we go there. I have absolutely no idea how he is going to do so it will be interesting. So today we just stayed with some basic things. We did Follow the rail at the trot, stopping at each corner, then we played with our indirect and direct rein. 

Since they have kind of...well... fallen apart (100% my fault there) we had to play with each one for a while. Well I guess they haven't really fallen apart, they just aren't where they need to be, where they were before. We started with the indirect rein with out using my reins. Prince did well with that but had a harder time with the pivoting on his hindquarters to get the forequarter yield. Then I figured it out! I was looking to far over my shoulder, more like I was asking for sideways, so I changed my focus so that I wasn't looking quite so far and right after I did that Prince stopped taking a step or two sideways before pivoting. How interesting! 

When we ended Prince was so light and responsive that I didn't even need to use my leg. Just used my body. It was really amazing. Prince has never been that light before! 

I am looking forward to the next few weeks! As long as it doesn't snow I think everything should be good ;) 

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment