Saturday, October 30, 2010

Prince: New places.

Oct 27 2010

Our playgroup was meeting today and everyone was invited to bring their own horses so Prince and I along with our friend and one of her horses loaded up and headed out. Prince, who we normally load first and on the left side had to be loaded second and on the right side. I didn't think he would have a problem with it though, but not make or teach assumptions. I didn't assume that he would be okay and I didn't assume that he wouldn't. I just took it one step at a time. As it happened Prince loaded up perfectly fine the first time and couldn't have been happier. 

Once we got to our destination and unloaded the horses I let Prince get used to his new surroundings. We found the grass pretty quickly. My two younger brothers also came along with us. It was really nice having them a long. My youngest brother soon found the big tire swing... Prince spooked when he saw M2 on the swing. So we did some sideways and squeezes back and forth until Prince got used to it. It was really windy so that didn't help matters much but it was a good challenge!

After saddled up we headed over to the arena. We did Figure eights at the trot/canter which went really well. At first Prince was pulling a little bit around the ends but pretty soon he connected to me and we got some nice, soft, relaxed Figure eights. 

I was really proud of how well Prince did with our circles! Right from the start when I asked Prince to canter he put the slack in the rope and did really well. This is why part of me thinks that the reason he was pulling was just because he had felt that pressure there for so long that he had become desensitized to it and he didn't think it meant anything. So know that I was able to teach him that it does mean something Prince is responding really well. 

Once I felt that Prince was ready to ride I got on. We started with Follow the rail but Prince was a little to impulsive for that. If I had of stayed with it long enough he probably would have relaxed but I knew that doing circles would be more effective. We stayed at the walk and it worked really well. Prince relaxed and started listening to me more and more. 

Prince spooked about 5 times through out the whole time I was riding him but fortunately I was able to ride them all successfully. After we finished the circles we went back to Follow the rail and Prince was much more relaxed. We still had to play with staying close to the rail because Prince didn't want to go to close to it. I think it was because of the trees and the high winds. But no matter what the reason was we kept with it and at the end Prince was able to walk, trot and canter close to the rail. We did lots of transitions too. At first Prince wasn't responding to my seat as well as he normally does but I knew what my end goal was and so we kept with it and by the end he was very in tune with me and we were able to do walk, trot, canter, back up transitions all with out my reins. 

We also played this little game where we went a long the rail and I touched the top of every fence post. Just to make sure that we were following it close enough ;) Prince did well with that and there was only a couple times when he was a little far away but he was still much better than what it was like in the beginning! 

Once I felt Prince was relaxed and confident enough we tried the canter. At first to the right Prince had a little of trouble getting into the canter but after a couple transitions he got it and he was able to pick up the right lead no problem. We cantered quite a ways too!! Going to the left Prince was amazing I couldn't not believe how easily he picked up the canter and the left lead! We cantered just under half of the arena before I brought him down to a stop. It was an amazing feeling! 

We ended with opening and closing the gate to go into the round corral were we finished. This gate was quite a bit different from the ones we have been practicing on so it added an extra challenge but a gate is a gate and once Prince figured out what we were doing, which took a matter of a couple seconds we were able to work together and get the job done. I think both Prince and I have found the love for this task!! I was thinking about it the other day and I think it is because he puts a purpose to so many things! Plus it is just plain fun! 

Another thing Prince and I have been playing with is not letting Prince eat grass unless I give him permission. "Don't make or let, but cause and allow" Prince has gotten really good. At first it would just for a short time but we have been getting the time when he isn't eating longer and longer and today he did so well. I can tell that it has made a huge difference in a lot of other areas of our relationship also. Because Prince isn't taking over and just eating when ever he wants he is waiting for my permission. It is one of those little things that make a big difference!
Loading up to go home was a bit more challenging because the wind had really picked up and just as Prince had gone in the trailer nicely and I was just about to put the bar up behind him a huge gust of wind came and worried him a little so he backed out. I didn't mind though but it just took a little extra time. After some approach and retreat Prince was in the trailer and standing well. Needless to say I was glad when we got them back safe and sound. That wind was scary. 

I was really proud of Prince and how well he did over the whole day. Being in a new place, with new horses and having it be such an interesting day weather wise. He did really well! 

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment