Friday, October 22, 2010

Prince: Oh Boy!

Oct 19 2010

Prince and I had an interesting Online session today. I realize one of the things that I should have done better but of course that was after finished playing.

We started out in the field playing on the 45ft line. We played with a log that my mom and little brothers had rolled into the field. Prince wasn't to sure about it so we did Falling Leaf towards it and then when he couldn't go between myself and the log I backed up a step and then we did simple squeeze games between me and the log until Prince could go up and touch it. After that we played a little bit more around it and Prince was then fine so I sent him off on the circle and we did some circles with the log being there, sometimes in his way and other times I asked him to go around it on the far side or come between me and it. Prince jumped it a couple times and then we finished.

Then I wanted to do circles at the canter. We hadn't had the chance to do these on the 45ft line for two play sessions so I wasn't sure what expect. I didn't however expect Prince to had quite as hard of a time as he did. He cantered around 30 laps before he put any slack in the line. But once he did I brought him in and gave him a rest.

We then went back to the riding ring and I was going to saddle Prince and ride but I wanted to play a little bit more with our circles but on the 22ft line instead. This is where it got interesting. I decided to try just sending Prince off on the circle at the canter and waiting until he decided to come off that pressure and put some slack in the rope. It was one thing that I hadn't tried yet so I thought it would be worth a try.

Well it took a lot time.... 95 circles to be exact. Before Prince put slack in the line, it wasn't on the ground but it was slack so I rewarded that. Around 90 circles he started blowing so I knew that something was happening but it was still a long time. I wish I could get to the bottom of this! Just when I think I have it figured out it seems fall apart. But I have hope... I am taking Prince to a friends farm for around two weeks starting Wednesday and she has lots of space, a big arena and a round corral. Plus I am participating in a lesson day with a three star instructor so that in one thing on my list of things I need help with :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment