Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Prince: Testing our connection...

August 10 2010

Prince was amazing today. I was so proud of him. I saddled him up at Liberty today and then played in the corral. Then my youngest brother (M2) came out and asked if he could ride Prince. So I helped him up and this time he actually rode Prince. Normally I will just lead Prince around but today I felt that both M2 and Prince were ready to try something new. So I showed M2 how to do a lateral flexion, toss the rein over Prince's head and do it on the other side. Once he got that down (which didn't take long) I then showed him how to ask Prince to go. Prince did really well and didn't let M2 get away with a whole lot. Pretty soon they were walking around (I was by his side the whole time though) and then M2 got to practice his lateral flexion, he relaxed and then bent Prince to a stop. It was so cute!! We then had to turn around and go the other way so I taught M2 how to do a direct rein. He went through all the phases and Prince turned really softly. Then they walked back over to the fence and I helped M2 dismount. It was really neat to see Prince respond and M2 learn how to ride, naturally! 
After that Prince and I went up to the riding ring and played. We did some small things first and then did the Falling Leaf at the trot. Prince was so light! I couldn't believe how light and responsive he was! It was really cool! Then we played with jumping a single barrel, which Prince did really well. At first he just jumped it halfheartedly but then he jumped it really nicely!

Then we got to test our connection on our circles. Mom was using the side of the riding ring that Prince and I normally do circles on (it doesn't have as many obstacles there) so I decided to try doing it on the other side. At first he was a bit challenging because the rope would get caught on the tires and such but then things started going better and Prince got really connected to me so I asked him to canter and after a little while he cantered 2 laps with connection!! I was amazed because less then 2 months ago Prince wouldn't have done that. So there has been some definite improvement. Then we went to the left and Prince tried so hard! This side took longer though but he tried and tried and finally he got the connection and maintained gait for a whole lap so I brought him in and gave him a long rest :) 

Prince wasn't nearly as hot today as he had been the last couple play times so that was really nice. I then got on and we did some sideways over barrels, Follow the rail, Weave and then we cantered. They were beautiful canters too! The one thing I need to get better at is I release a little bit to soon when I ask for the canter. I believe that I am confident enough to play with that now and get that right. I was so proud of Prince though! He did really well. Each time it just gets better and better!! 

One of the things on the Self Assessment list for Level 3 riding is to canter, stop and get off. I knew that Prince and I could canter and stop and I was pretty sure I could get off ;) But I am the type of person that if it says it I have to do it before I can check it off, even if I am almost completely sure I can do it. So we cantered along, I asked Prince to stop, Prince stopped and I got off. So that was one thing we could check off. And the other was doing the passenger lesson at the canter. I feel confident enough that I can check that off too. 

I unsaddled Prince and then we spent some undemanding time for a while and then I let him go and went and got Ruffian!! 


I was so happy that I could check these two things off!! I have wanted to do that for a LONG time and now I can!!! Yippee!!! :)

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments: