Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Prince: Was that 8 circles at the canter!?!

August 9 2010

Prince and I had a great play time and ride this morning. It was very humid out so that did effect out play time but we still managed. We did circles which were amazing. Prince cantered 8 laps to the right and kept the belly of the rope on the ground for 90% of the time. And he cantered 4 laps tot he left. It was amazing!!! I couldn't believe it. 

We also played with jumping a single barrel in the middle of the arena. Prince will jump it but not with slack in the rope, so basically I am forcing him to jump it when ever I would ask him to jump it. So I decided that I would play with that for the next couple days and see if I can really get it to be Prince's idea. It didn't take long before Prince started jumping it. It wasn't perfect but he tried so I gave him a rest. "Expect a lot, except a little and reward often" Once Prince put some effort into jumping it we left it and went and did the Falling Leaf. It was really neat because on our way back we came to a barrel and I thought Prince would just go in between me and it but he jumped it! I guess it worked ;) 

I let Prince cool off and then I got on to ride. We did some Follow the rail, Transitions, etc and then I asked Prince to canter. He did well and I really felt in time with him. This is day 4 of me cantering but we hadn't cantered since Thursday so I messed up a little when I asked Prince to canter but he still did great. We did some trot to canter transitions and then once I was happy with the way they went we stopped. 

Then my sister came out and it turns out that she didn't have to work today so we decided to film Prince's part in the Treeslayer II. So we went on a mini trail ride down to the turn around. Of course there is the big hill that we had to ride to get there first. I gave Prince complete responsibility so maintain his four responsibilities and I made sure to uphold mine and everything went well. I absolutely love riding up and down that hill! It is so amazing to feel the power under you! And not scattered power but controlled, focus power! Prince did everything beautifully and he didn't even break into the trot on the way down the hill into the turn around! 

Filming went well. For Prince it was mainly a lot of point to point. So he liked that. It was a lot of fun but just as we were almost done everything the camera battery died :( So we shall have to go out again and finish. Just for fun Krys (my sister) rode around on the bike and Prince and I chased her. Prince really liked that! We basically went around in circles around the turn around but it was so much fun! Prince was totally fine with Krys riding beside, behind and in front of him so that is good. It means he shouldn't have a problem when Krys' character and I have to ride off together, Krys on the bike and myself on Prince. 
 
Here is a picture of Prince and I from yesterday's filming... 


Prince did so well the whole time and it was really neat to see how the Parelli principles apply to movie making... even if it was just in a small way. Prince was calm the whole time, even when it meant riding straight towards the camera :)

Naturally, 
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment