Sunday, August 1, 2010

Twosox: We got it!

July 30 2010

I didn't have time to play with Twosox this morning after I rode Prince so I played with him in the evening. It was really nice out and there wasn't any bugs so that made it nice. I was prepared to be very interesting this time with Twosox and to basically not give him time to think bad thoughts, but at the same time give him time to think good thoughts. So we started off with Circles and right from the start Twosox was pulling and not connected to me at all. So I decided to so a pattern interrupt every time he pulled, we did a change of direction. That worked really well and Twosox started getting interested and stopped pulling. 

Then we did Falling Leaf, which once that was going well I turned it into a Figure eight. Twosox wasn't sure what to think but when we finished the Figure eight he turned, faced me and asked a really nice question plus he wouldn't take his eyes off me! After a short break (just long enough for Twosox to lick and chew) we did a Weave at the trot. Twosox did well with that and we ended with me sending him over to the ball and I asked him to put his nose on it, and keep it there. 

By this time the other horses has moseyed up to the riding ring and were starting to play. I wanted to finished while things were going really good and Twosox was totally in tune with me so then we went and did yo-yo's back and forth through two tires that were placed about 3ft apart. Again Twosox was asking questions the whole time and I had his full attention, even with the other horses running around. 

After that we went over to the pedestal and I asked him to climb on with all four feet which he did and that was where we ended. After a long rest I took the halter off and even after I had gone to put the ball away and etc Twosox just stood there on the pedestal looking at me. I eventually went and got him off the pedestal and then he joined the other horses who were running around the riding ring, Ruffian was chasing Prince... a normal sight I assure you ;) Prince may be the boss but if Ruffian has it in his mind to play he will antagonize Prince until Prince finally decided to play with him ;) It is so much fun to watch! 

The biggest thing that I learned from this play session was that with Twosox I have to know what I am going to do, in which direction, how far away and which gait to do it in just as we finish the thing we are playing with. It is fun but at the same time challenging!! 

This will be a fun couple weeks as I play with this new concept!
Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment