Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Introducing my new Parelli Ball...

July 6 2010

This morning I brought out my new Parelli ball. As I was rolling it across the front yard Prince and Twosox weren't to sure about it but it wasn't until Ruffian and Knightly saw it that the whole heard really spooked. They took off running up the hill near the riding ring. So I took the ball up there anyways, because I wanted it in the riding ring. The horses were now peacefully grazing so I went and haltered Prince. We decided to bring the horses into the riding ring and let them check the ball out. Prince was very confident. He has seen one before so I wasn't surprised. I had set the ball up on the pedestal. So I sent Prince up to the pedestal and he tried to get up on it but there wasn't enough room. My goal was to get Prince to push the ball off and then climb up. Pretty quickly Prince figured out what to do. He pushed the ball right off and then climbed up, looking rather pleased with himself too ;) We then played with Prince pushing it. He did very well and he wasn't just pushing it because it was in front of him, he put effort into doing it. Which was nice to see.

Next it was Twosox. I was really surprised at how well he did. He walked right up to it and pushed it around. I guess it just goes to show you what prior and proper preparation does! After that it was Ruffian. I think that of all the horses, Ruffian had the most fun with it. Which is what I expected. him being the LBE of the herd :) He followed the ball around everywhere and was pushing it, rubbing on it, everything! It was so much fun. At first he just went up it and just stood there with his head on the ball. Then he started playing with it. After I knew that he was fine with it and was able to push it around and such I started bouncing it. It was fine. I was a little surprised because Ruffian used to go internal when there were new things around. Not today though. It is amazing the change in him. He has really become more confident in new situations and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we are playing in Level 3/4 Online now and of course he has been doing wonderful. But it has really helped his confidence in so many other areas because we have been doing a lot more advanced things. It is amazing the change! 

After I let Ruffian go he stayed with me the whole time and followed me around where ever I went. I had to go get Prince and put him and Ruffian out so that I could play with Twosox and mom could play with Knightly. I did it at Liberty for the challenge but it wasn't really a challenge because Prince came to be right away when I asked him and Ruffian stayed with me anyways so all three of us walked over to the gate, one horse on each side and I let them out. It was a lot of fun though. 

So that was the introduction to my new ball. I am very happy that they all took it so well and that they were confident the whole time, excluding the little bit at the beginning ;) It will be so much fun to play with it more. My one goal with Prince is to be able to stand on him and bounce it. First I have to master being able to get it bouncing when it is standing still ;) But that shouldn't take to long. 

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment