Monday, July 5, 2010

Prince: The small things that make a difference...

July 5 2010

This morning I wasn't really in the frame of mind to do a lot with any of the horses. I knew that I couldn't mentally and emotionally go out there and be the leader that they needed me to be but I still had to go out and see them. Prince, Knightly and Twosox were lying down when I got out there. So I went over and spent some time with Twosox and then I went over and sat with Prince. I am so very blessed to have Prince. He is always there for me when I need a shoulder to cry on or when I just need some time to think and pray, he is always there. Today Prince was the both. I sat with him for over an hour and it was exactly what I needed. Part way through Prince fell asleep with his head in my lap. It was one of those moments that I will never forget. 
After Prince got up he still wanted to be with me, and I still wanted to be with him. So I brushed him and scratched his itchy spots. I was feeling a little bit better by the so we did some little things, porcupine, driving, friendly etc. Then we went over to the water trough and I climb up on Prince bareback and bridleless. We really didn't do a whole lot, I didn't really want to. So we stood there for a while and then we did some direct rein/pivoting on the hindquarters. Prince was amazing! After that I decided to ride up to the riding ring and then let Prince eat on the side stripe of grass. 

Prince did really well. We had a little bit of a misunderstanding at the corral gate but we figured it out and continued on. Prince offered to trot up the last part of the hill so I took it. It was amazing to feel all that power under me! Very cool! Then we went over to the pedestal and climbed up on that, we went over to the barrel and stood there then we walked over to the little gate. Prince stood so well as I untied it and when I need him to move over, back up or go forward a little bit he did it all perfectly. Then we walked out the gate into the side strip. What was really neat was that Prince didn't even start eating. Even after I dismounted he didn't eat. When I went to walk away he stayed with me and followed me. I actually had to lightly send him away from me before he would start eating. 

I brought Twosox and Ruffian up as well and let them all eat together. Once the bugs had gotten really bad Twosox and Ruffian decided they wanted to go down to the shelter. So I let them out of the riding ring. Prince didn't come though so I had to call him and what was really special was that he came as soon as I called him and he trotted all the way over to me! It was so wonderful. He stayed with me for a while and then we went over to the gate because the bugs were really bothering him and we went down into the corral. It was another one of those special moments that I shall never forget :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment