Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ruffian: Playing with the ball, Weave, and Figure eights!

July 7 2010

Today's playtime with Ruffian must have been one of the best play times we have ever had. I am not sure why but it was just wonderful. The deer flies were awful in the riding ring, especially around the edges where the trees are. So we either had to stay still and in one area or go do something, quickly and then come back to the center, kill and the deer flies, hang out and then start all over again. We did a little bit of both.

First we did the Weave, both at the walk and trot. Ruffy did really well and since we have been getting our Figure eights better, our Weave has really improved. Then after that (and after we got rid of some of the bugs) We did the Figure eight... and let me tell you, RUFFIAN WAS INCREDIBLE!!! Last time it took us along time before we got a nice figure eight, today it was right from the start. Ruffian was connected and maintained his responsibilities. We did one or two complete figure eights and then I brought him in. It was amazing.

Then we had a lot of fun with the ball. I bounced it high, put it on him, and lots of other things and Ruffian took it all in stride and was confident the whole time. Ruffian definitely likes it! I had to trim Prince this morning also so we didn't play long. I wanted to get the trimming done before it got to hot.

Ruffian stayed with me and didn't want to leave me so we hung out together and then both ran down the hill to get away from the deer flies. The hard thing is that the more I play with Ruffian the more he wants to be played with and it is really hard to fine the time to play with all three horses equally, especially with this heat. I am only managing one horse a day. So hopefully once fall gets here I can play with two or maybe all three each day. That would be really nice! 

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. Hi Keri!

    I really enjoy reading your blog and your ability to balance playing with all three horses...I have trouble working full time and playing with one!

    Anyhow, I've been wanting to get into Parelli but I'm not sure where to start. In the past couple weeks I've started playing the 7 games but I feel like I have no goal or guide. What do you recommend? Join the Savvy Club? Buy DVDs? I'd appreciate any advice!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very glad that you enjoy reading my blog. Hopefully it has been helpful in some way :) It can be very difficult managing all three horses, especially when it is so hot.

    I think the best way to start would be to join the Savvy Club and or buy the Level 1/2, either in the kit with the equipment or just by itself.

    There is also a DVD called "Getting Started" http://shop.parellinaturalhorsetraining.com/product.jsf?productId=1016 Mr. Parelli shows the first 3 games and lots of other very informative things.

    Hopefully that helps :) If you have any other questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them!

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete