Sunday, July 11, 2010

Twosox: The importance of progressing Part 2

July 10 2010

(Please read Part 1 one of this post first which is below this post)
So with all that in mind we set off. From the time we let the corral to the time that we got up to the riding ring I watched Twosox ans observed how he responded, or didn't respond, to what I asked of him. There were time when I had to get to a phase four but I made sure to have long phase 1 and a quick 2,3,4. So many people stay at a phase one and then they wonder why their horses isn't responding... and then if they do get to a phase 4 they often times put emotion behind it. 

The one mistake I did make was that I had the rope looped loosely around my left arm so that I could have my lead rope in left hand and my carrot stick in my right hand [It was one of those savvy bypass moment ;)] So when I asked Twosox to catch up to me he shot forwards and the rope tightened up on my arm, no really tight but enough that it gave me a good learn burn. I don't think I shall ever do that again ;) We started out with our Figure eights. Twosox did better then he did last day but it still took a little while before he wanted to do the figure eight. It did go a lot better though and in the end he did a very nice figure eight. 
After that I brought the ball out. Now as soon as Twosox saw it he didn't go right brain but he did get a little worried about it, more of a unconfident LBI. So I left the ball where it was and we went and did falling leaf! Which was a lot of fun. At first Twosox wasn't very light. He was more concerned about the ball. So we kept going back and forth from one of the riding ring to the other until he was more focused on me. It is amazing how if you pick a patterns and stick with it long enough when your horse is worried, he will relax. It just takes time and being persistent.
Then we did some circles and I "let" the ball get in the way just to see what he would do. Twosox was okay with it now so he would just move around it and keep going. When he had rhythm, relaxation and was connected to me I brought him it. Then we went and played with the ball more. Twosox pushed it a little bit and then I walked away while I was bouncing it. Twosox was confident so I then turned towards him and bounced it. He was fine with that also. Which was really cool! 
When I let Twosox go he stayed with me and followed me down the hill and into the corral. I think that this was a very good play time all in all. I just have to remember not to slip back and do the easy thing, which is not progressing. 
Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment