Monday, July 26, 2010

Twosox: A new pattern.

July 26 2010

I was going to play with Prince first today but Twosox had other plans. He came over to me and wouldn't leave so I decided to play with him first. 
I wanted to add something different into our play time so I decided to start the Falling Leaf pattern. It isn't an "official" pattern but I am going to do it as a pattern. Twosox really liked it and at the end he was so connected to me and kept a lot of slack in the rope. One thing I like about the Falling Leaf is that the horse can move his feet but he still has to stay connected with you because he has to turn. We had a lot of fun with it and he cantered quite a bit of it too!

Then we did circles. Twosox did well and we got some nice trot to canter transitions. We also got some nice circles at the walk and trot. It was nice. We then played with the ball. Twosox was pushing it around every where and really seemed enjoy that. Then I bounced it in zone 1,2 and 3 and Twosox was confident with that. 

We also did the Weave and Figure eights. Twosox did well with both of those. We are still playing with them and trying to improve them but I think that Twosox has the general idea now. I don't think that it has been 4 days yet (I will have to check) but I am confident that they will keep improving :) 

After that we went over to the pedestal and I asked Twosox to do like what we did on Saturday and I asked him to put his two back feet on the pedestal and then back on with his front feet. He did well and it didn't take long before he got it almost perfectly. At first he wouldn't keep his back feet on as soon as his front feet got up there but the last time his one back foot almost went off but he made it. It was pretty cool! 

That was where we ended and then I let him out onto the side grass to eat while I went and got Prince! 

Twosox did so well with the ball! I was really proud of him!
He is actually looking pretty good right now. He has put on some weight so I am really happy!


Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. It's great to hear that you're working on your falling leaf... sometimes one can wonder why we play the patterns in the first place, but as Pat says, put the foundations before specialization.

    Staying here at the Colorado campus, I've had opportunity to watch some of the specialization side, and its so cool to see the patterns (foundations) are what make up so much of the specialization. I honestly didn't realize that cow-cutting is essentially an extended version of falling leaf!

    ~Kerrin
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really neat. It makes sense when you think about it though, about the cutting and falling leaf that is. It is such a cool pattern!

    Thanks for you comment :)

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete