Thursday, July 29, 2010

Prince: Discoveries....

July 28 2010

This morning I played with Prince before I trimmed Twosox. I was also able to ride because mom was there. We had an interesting play time. I was going to do the Falling Leaf pattern first but we ended up doing close range circles at the walk and trot, I was testing our connected from different distances. Prince did well so I increased the distance until he was walking and trotting circles in both directions and was able to keep the belly of the rope on the ground. But as soon as I asked for the canter to the left we were basically back to square one. So after a while of doing lots of transitions and lots of there strategies I decided to go to the center of the riding ring and see if Prince could stay connected to me at the trot with the fence being there for part of the circle. He did well consider his adrenaline was up. But it was still at the canter that he couldn't stay connected. So I decided to end but I still wanted to end on a good note so we switched to the right and pretty quickly Prince cantered about 1/4 of a circle connected to me. So at least we have that! 

We then went and did Figure eights. Prince did well and they are getting even better! Then we did the Falling Leaf. At first Prince was running right through the pressure when I asked him to turn so we had to play with that. I really had to make sure that I was matching his energy so that he would notice me. Then something really cool happened! After the falling leaf started looking more like a falling leaf and less like a spiral Prince cantered to the left and to the right [at different times ;)] with the belly of the rope on the ground!!! It was only a couple strides to the left but I took it! It was really amazing! I think that this might be the key that I need to help Prince with our circles

Then I rode!! Taking a week off from riding has made me appreciate the little things that Prince and I have recently gotten and not take them for granted and trying to advance them to fast... I have a problem with being over particular and sometimes to hard on myself and Prince. So our ride even though it was simple it was amazing. We did Follow the rail, walk trot transitions, Weave at the trot, Figure eights at the walk, pivots, indirect rein (making sure that Prince was light on the rein but still putting effort into moving his hind quarters over) and some other fun stuff. When we were doing Follow the rail we did some really fun change of directions where we would be trotting a long then we would stop, back up and pivot half a circle and then trot off, all with out using my reins. It was so much fun! Prince was light and very responsive! 

Our Figure eights were really nice also. We only did them at the walk but Prince was really light! I was a little bit surprised! Everything else was really amazing. Then we stood still for a while and I talked to mom for a bit then I got off and let Prince go. He stayed with me though and followed me over to the fence and then he moseyed over to see what my mom was doing, she was building a little wall with rocks and boards to keep the dirt from washing down the hill any more. It looks really cool and matches the rock border around the fence posts and such. 

So all in all it was a good play time even though I still have a lot to figure out. I guess our next play time will tell a lot :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment