Friday, July 23, 2010

Prince: When things come together!

July 22 2010

You know the feeling you get when things that you have been playing with come together one day and it is so beautifully? Well that was definitely what I felt like after I played with Prince this morning... and even as we was playing. Everything was beautiful and some things that we had been playing with for a while now came together and were amazing!! 

We did the Weave from zone 5 with one rein. That was fun because it added a little challenge. Prince did really well and caught on quickly. Our Figure eights was beyond wonderful. We did about 5 Figure eights and Prince cantered through the middle, trotted around the ends (he cantered around a couple too!) And I was hardly doing anything!! I couldn't believe it! This was the third play session that we have done figure eights since this session: Prince: Things happen... and they are better now then they were before it happened!

Then we did circles! We did lots of transitions and we also played with trot to canter transitions. Prince was so light! In both directions he cantered about half a circle. Going to the left was harder, but I expected that. But it didn't take long before he cantered half a lap. I am confident that when we get this part right, the maintaining gait at the canter will come easily. We also got some really cool walk to canter transitions!! 

After that Prince and I played at Liberty for a while. We did the Weave, Touch it, jumping and straddling a single barrel, close range circles, sideways, Figure eights, and zone 5 driving!!! Everything was amazing but especially the Figure eights and Zone 5 driving. I wasn't sure if I should try the Figure eight because we are just getting it right Online but after we did the Weave everything was in place and it just happened. Prince did an incredible figure eight. I was in neutral and he was so connected to me! 

In the past we have played around a little bit with zone 5 driving at Liberty but nothing major. Just little things. So today I wasn't sure what to expect but we started out with Touch it and then we did transitions a long the fence. Prince was amazing [and I know I say that a lot but he was! :)] We did walk to halt transitions first and then we did walk, trot, halt, back up transitions. At the end I didn't even have to use my carrot stick! Prince just matched my energy and if I walk forward he did, if I started running slowly he did, if I backed up he did. It was really something. Both him and I were interested and having fun. Next time I want to try with two carrot sticks because that will be easier then just with one. But it really wasn't that hard and Prince caught on really quickly. 

So it was definitely a great play time!! 

Naturally,
~Keri


8 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome, Keri!

    So do you follow a 'plan' with your horse(s?) or does it really depend upon the day?

    Kerrin
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kerrin :)

    Normally I have a couple patterns that we are playing with and we will do them every play session and then switch after 4-7 sessions. I also will add different little things in each play time depending on the day.

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool beans :)

    I was chatting to your mum on facebook, and she mentioned the educational philosophy that you've followed (I was unschooled too, by the way *high five!*) Do horses, and Parelli, play a large part in your education?

    ~Kerrin
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unschooling is amazing... and it is just plain fun too ;) Yes they play a big role in my education. It is great because I can focus on my horsemanship and almost everything else can be fit in around that. It is really cool. Especially because when the weather changes, my schedule can change to fit around that also. It is pretty neat.

    Well I better go. Talk to you later! :)
    ~Keri

    P.S. If you want to email, and if you have time of course, we can do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had the same experience I found that unschooling gave me the space to discover my interests, and then the time to pursue those interests! Horses are obviously one of my biggest interests, but I think that unschoolers are generally diverse people with MANY ideas and interests!

    Are we friends on Facebook yet?

    ~Kerrin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am exactly the same way! Horses are my biggest interest but I have so many other things that I really enjoy doing. Like you said, it must be an unschooler thing ;)

    Not yet. Which Facebook profile of yours do you want me to friend? Your Parelli one?

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my Parelli related one :)

    ~Kerrin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thanks! I sent the request :)

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete