Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Prince: Always things to think about...

July 27 2010

This morning I played with Prince. We had a good but interesting play time. We start out with circles. Going to the right Prince did wonderful. Even after he came out of the canter and into the trot he still kept the slack in the rope. It was amazing. Of course we were still using the fence to help on the one side so Prince would canter a long the fence and then trot where the fence wasn't. So we played with that until he cantered a couple steps where the fence wasn't there. Going to the left however was a lot harder. Prince wasn't even very connected at the walk and trot. So we played with that until he got connected and then we went into the canter. He started rushing into the canter and doing a lot of what he used to do so we kept doing lots of transitions from the trot to the canter until he relaxed a little and wasn't pulling quite to much.

Then we did Figure eights, which were pretty good and after that we did the Falling Leaf. I don't know why I didn't do it before the circles because I am pretty sure if would have made a difference but I will know for next time. It went pretty well. At the end Prince was doing some really nice Falling Leaf and would canter through the middle part and turn nice and sharp and go the other way. He did have a harder time changing from the right to the left, which makes sense because his left is his hard side. But near the end he got better.

After that we spent some undemanding time and Prince stayed with me the whole time expect for once when he went to scratch on the fence. But other then that he stayed with me. I have a lot to think about. I really want to help Prince and do what ever it takes to help him find that connection on both side (but especially on the left) at the canter. I know that most horses have there hard side so it is normal. I just need to figure out what Prince needs from me, as his leader, to help him overcome this. I think I am up to the challenge but I know it shall test my emotional fitness :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment