Thursday, April 15, 2010

Prince: Falling Leaf, opening a gate and more!

April 13 2010

This afternoon Prince and I had a wonderful playtime. We started out by playing at Liberty. I decided to switch things up a little bit and not halter Prince at first. So I brushed him and then put the bareback pad on then we played a little bit. We did some Stick to me, circles (!!!!), and some other stuff then we played around the shelter. I sent him in straight while I stood on the outside. Then I asked him to back out and we did a couple other things. It was fun! 

After that I haltered Prince from my knees. He did very well and was very patient. Then we went up to the riding ring and we did some Figure eights at the walk.... with the belly of the rope ON THE GROUND! Hooray! I learned that I have to give Prince a little bit longer before I use the rope to help him. The last figure eight we did was beautiful!! 

Okay so before I continue on I just wanted to say that today I had a plan... the things that I wanted to play with were the Falling Leaf pattern and trot to from change of directions. Then while riding I wanted to play with opening and closing a gate and riding circles.

So we started with the Falling Leaf. We did quite a few at the trot and then I decided that if we go these really good at the canter (where Prince cantered and then dropped to the trot to turn and then picked the canter back up again) then it would most likely really help our change of directions. So after we did a lot at the trot and they were pretty good I asked Prince to canter.... now this is the really interesting part, Prince did the same thing that he does on the circle... runs off. Then it hit me.... huge BFO coming up here.... I had my carrot stick out to my side to support my body but it wasn't doing anything Prince wasn't responding because I didn't have my phase 4 right.... hmmm how interesting! So the next time he came around I asked him really nicely with my body like I normally do but when he ignored that I got bigger with my carrot stick and suddenly Prince was turning! It took a while before we got them really down but on the last half of the arena as we ere coming back down to the other end Prince really started getting it and they were soooooooo nice! Prince cantered, came down to the trot, turned and then cantered the other way. It was wonderful!

When we got to the other end of the arena (we went back and forth a lot because our riding ring is only 100ft) I let Prince canter a circle and then I asked for a change of direction and guess what?!?! Prince did it perfectly! I was so happy! Prince got a long rest after that! It was really amazing!

After that I got on and rode. We went over to our little gate which is on one side of the riding ring. It is only a rope gate so I don't know if it counts but it is a good start! At first Prince didn't seem to be in tune with me and then I realised that the bareback pad was a little to far forward and so when I used my legs Prince wasn't feeling it. So I moved back some and that made a huge difference! Suddenly I had a sensitive horse again ;) So then we went and did circles around the pedestal again. Prince did very, very well and trotted 3 laps each way! Hooray! One thing I noticed though was that I need to let Prince make the mistake of coming off of the circle instead of correcting him before he makes the mistake... aka using my reins less! :) But we have to start somewhere!

Prince didn't want to leave me when I let him go he stayed with me while I got all my equipment and then even after I left the riding ring he stayed up there and Ruffy came up and so they played. It was a really wonderful play time and yet again I learned the importance of having a plan!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment