Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ruffian: Circles, Figure eights and Straddling the barrels.

April 1 2010

This morning I played with Ruffian and boy did he have energy! At first he didn't seem to have to much energy so I thought we would try some figure eights. But Ruffy had other ideas... he wanted to run so we switched to circles.... and did he ever do circles! I am sure Ruffy cantered over 20 laps! He just kept cantering and cantering and cantering... after that we went back to the figure eights and Ruffy was more willing to try them. It took a while but finally we got one nice figure eight at the trot and so we quit there. Ruffy did so some nice figure eights at the canter and did lead changes right left and center!  It was a lot of fun playing with him and trying to channel his energy! 

We took a long rest after all that... more for my sake then for Ruffy's. I was exhausted! I decided to teach Ruffy how to straddle the barrels. So I lined up the barrels and offer went. I asked Ruffy to jump them a couple times first and then we started. It took a little bit longer than I thought it would but pretty quickly he figured it out and did it perfectly! That was where we ended, well after he had a huge lick and chew ;) Ruffy stayed with me for a while before he moseyed off down the hill. What a play time! It would be so nice to get Ruffy onto the 45ft line and just let him run to his hearts content but unfortunately that is not possible right now. Maybe some day! 
Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment