Friday, April 16, 2010

Ruffian: A true porcupine game!

April 15 2010

This morning at 7:00 I woke up to my Dad telling my Mom that either Ruffian or Twosox had about a dozen porcupine quills in the side of his mouth. Fortunately I wasn't to tired and I knew I had to get up and deal with it. So up I get and outside I go... sure enough Ruffian has at least a dozen quills in the side on his mouth, most of then on his top lip but some one or two on his bottom lip. One of Dad's friends who is a farmer had come over to pick Dad up so he told me how to get them out and so I got a pair of pliers and I started. I won't tell you the minute to minute commentary but lets just say that even now that it is over I still shudder to think about it and I really would never want to do it again! 

Ruffian had 15 quills and it took me 4 hours to get them all out. The last one was the hardest because it was nearer the bottom of his top lip and it wasn't sticking straight out and so I had to somehow get the pliers parallel to his mouth and get it... all the time trying to keep Ruffy's head still and not get forceful....  Poor Ruffian! He did so well  but I felt really bad because after I would get one out I would have to start all over again and regain his trust to let me get the pliers anywhere near him again. It was hard but through God's strength I was able to do it. I was soooo nervous. I think the hardest part was having to pull something out of him! It was hard!

The last quill was the hardest. I don't remember everything and to tell you the truth I am very glad that I don't. It isn't some thing I care to remember but one thing that I do remember is going from frustration/ and all the other feeling of not being able to get the last one out to complete happiness when I looked at the pliers in my hand there there was the last quill! It was wonderful! Then seeing Ruffing eat some sunflower seeds, have a nice long drink and enjoy the hay... that was so wonderful!

What was really nice too was that later in the afternoon when I went out to see the horses Ruffian came over to me! So I guess I didn't ruin the relationship :) Which is a major relief!

All that being said... I now want to totally block the whole memory from my mind.

Naturally,
~Keri

P.S. Here is a picture of all the quills I took out...


No comments:

Post a Comment