Monday, May 17, 2010

Prince: Liberty and Freestyle!

 May 17 2010

This morning I went out to play with Prince. This week is supposed to be really hot and the mosquitoes are out so I have to change my schedules around. This morning I just decided to go out and see what the bugs were like and start with Prince. I planned on saddling Prince up and riding ring so I got everything out. As soon as I got into the corral Prince, Twosox and Ruffian turned and faced me. It was really cute! It is interesting though because in a herd it is the horses responsibility to pay attention to where the boss horse is. Recently I have been noticing that as soon as I get into the corral, Prince, Twosox and Ruffian are paying attention to me. Prince even more so than the others. It is really interesting! 

I decided to saddle Prince up at Liberty. I noticed that our draw has gotten better too. I saddled up Prince, he left once but that was kind of my fault. He came back though and we continued on. I ended up playing at Liberty for a long time. We did some circles. Nothing really fancy just some close range circles with change of directions, which were really cool! Prince was so connected to me and he was responding really well to my body.  So I decided to try some figure eights. There were two tires there so we used them. At first Prince got a little bit stuck on the one end so I helped him through it and we got two really nice figure eights and Prince didn't leave once!!! I was sooooo proud of Prince!! Those are the best figure eights we have ever gotten!! We then did some Touch it, Sideways, Stick to me and we played in the shelter. I sent Prince in and did some other things. It was so much fun!! 
My mom then came out and since I had done quite a bit with Prince I climbed on and we rode around bridleless. It was so incredible! Prince was light and he tried very hard for me. I started out with some simple direct rein, sideways, and backing up. Prince responded to my body so well that I hardly even needed to use my carrot stick! Then we went over to the two pedestals and I asked Prince to climb up. I wanted him to put two feet on either one. So that was my end goal and first we did two feet on one, four feet on one etc then I asked Prince for it and he did it beautifully! We stood there for a while and then climbed down. The whole time Prince was extremely light and I remembered to use my body first in every situation! 

I climbed down and unsaddled Prince and then we went over to the manger. It wasn't the play time I expected but it was definitely an amazing one!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment