Monday, May 3, 2010

Twosox: Confidence in the shelter...

May 3 2010

This morning I went out and played with Twosox. The black flies are getting worse by the day so I went out prepared... with a bug net. It worked for the most part except the few black flies that managed to find there way in. It was really hard seeing the horses being so bothered. Twosox and Ruffian were so agitated by the bugs that when I got there they came right up to me and all they wanted was to have their head scratched and scratched and scratched! Then after about 10 minutes they finally were able to eat. Poor boys! Prince was next, he stood right beside me while I let Twosox eat. He was so itchy! 
I had taken my carrot stick out with a plastic bag on it because it rained last night and everything was muck. The horses got used to it really quickly because they learned that it got the bugs off! :) Smart horses ;)
After a while Twosox and I went over to the shelter. I sent him in and then went in myself. Twosox was a little bit worried at first but then he relaxed. He was a lot more confident then I thought he would be but that was a nice surprise! We spent a long time in the shelter. I tried to get Twosox cleaned up a bit. He is looking really good this spring, except for being a little underweight. His coat is so shiny!! 

Prince came over to me after a while which was really good because I was just thinking about how it would be nice to have another horse near by to get Twosox used to being in the shelter and having other horses around. So Prince stayed by for a long time and I rubbed him and didn't really pay attention to Twosox. Twosox was fine with Prince being there, which was great! He used to get so scared when ever the horses even moved around a little bit. So it was a huge improvement! 

Twosox was totally relaxed when I let him. It was so nice! After I left he stayed in the shelter for a couple minutes before he left. So all in all it was a great playtime! Hopefully I will be able to continue playing with the horses all through May... and the black flies. 

Naturally,
~Keri
 

No comments:

Post a Comment