Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Prince: Success with circles...

May 11 2010

This morning I had a wonderful play time with Prince. We didn't play long but we had a blast! As we were playing it kind of hit me that unintentionally I have been putting pressure on Prince and myself to progress. It isn't like we aren't having fun when we play but I think that there are sometimes when we aren't having as much fun as we should be... we have lost some of the play. I have been playing with Prince more over the last month or so because I want to advance and I love being with him but I think that in doing that it has also been like "I have to advance with Prince because he is my main horse and he is the one I am farther a long with" Now that is fine to a certain point. It is true that Prince and I are advancing together and what I learn with Prince I apply to the other horses but I don't want to loose that joy of just playing with Prince because it is fun. So this morning I really focused on making sure we had fun and seeing it as a game! 

The first thing we did was zone 5 driving and the whole time we were doing it I was thinking "Is this fun for Prince?" "What game am I really playing?" Because everything that we do with our horses is one of the seven games and so Prince and I were driving from zone 5. I had to think "How can I make this fun for both Prince and I" and how I did that was by seeing it as a game myself.  So we first did some transitions... yo-yo's... we did it along the fence because I only had one rein. Prince did very well! Then we did Figure eights!!!! At first they were a little messy but then Prince got the pattern and I have to say they were pretty good! We even trotted quite a bit of it! It was a lot of fun... for both of us :)

Then we did circles! My goal was for two laps each direction at the canter... and not just any laps, two good laps. So off we went. Every time Prince brought gait I would change direction. I don't know how many change of directions it took but it wasn't long before Prince cantered two laps very nicely!! So I brought him in and let him rest. That was to the right, his easy side. So then after a rest we went to the left. Prince figured out the game very quickly and he cantered two laps right away and then I brought him in. I was really surprised actually. I didn't think that Prince would do it that fast! 

We then went back down to the corral and we went into the shelter and rested in there and then I let him go. It was really an amazing play time! It was fun for both Prince and my and we accomplished a lot!

Naturally,
~Keri

8 comments:

  1. Great Job Keri,
    I'm glad to hear your Keeping things fun. It's very easy to get direct lined and focus on the progress but if you keep it fun for you and your horse you'll both want more. Way to Keep It Natural!
    Ryan Rose Parelli Protege

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri, Thank you for sharing! Parelli teaches us to build a relationship with our horse. In a good relationship we consider our partner's feelings. This is how we stay safe AND have fun! Good for you and Prince!!!!
    Petra Christensen 1* Parelli Junior Instructor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Keri! Although I visit your blog from time to time, it sure was neat to have a suggestion to visit your blog from the Parelli's via an email! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for you both for your comments :) It has been really interesting watching how our relationship has progressed over the past few months and how when our play times are fun and provocative Prince (and my other horse) want to be with me even more now.

    Petra Christensen: That is so true! Parelli Principle #3... "Communication is two or more individuals sharing and understanding an idea" Communication is such an important key to any relationship and taking the time to understand what your horse is thinking and what he needs is, like you said, how we stay safe and have fun.

    Thanks again for both your guys comments. I am honoured to have people like you both reading my blog :)

    Thanks Mrs. V!! :)

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing and encouragement you and Prince are! What incredible gifts horses are to us. They are amazing and reveal so much of ourselves to us. Don't you know God smiled when He gave them to us?
    Press on,
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cecile: Thanks for you comment! Yes indeed! Horses are an incredible gift. I am sure that God was smiling when He gave us horses... and so many other things! He has blessed me with so much more then I deserve... but then that is what grace is, getting what we don't deserve! :)

    Have a great day :)
    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound like you had fun x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It was right there in your May 11 entry... 'unintentionally I have been putting pressure on Prince and myself to progress'. Lately my mare, Sassy(LBI)and I have seemed to be regressing instead of progressing, and I think is is because I too have been unintentionally been putting way too much pressure on us. Lately she looks at me like I've lost my mind...feet firmly planted and there is no budging her. I couldn't figure out why she was becoming so defiant. I dropped the ball by taking all the fun out of it. It isn't called the 7 GAMES for nothing! Thank you for your blog...reading your entry made me realize I've got to make fun my priority! Progress will follow...Naturally. Enjoy your journey!

    ReplyDelete