Thursday, May 13, 2010

Twosox: Online and Freestyle

May 12 2010

After I was finished playing with Ruffian I played with and rode Twosox. Since my saddle was up there I decided to saddle up Twosox. Again it had been a while since Twosox had my saddle on him. Last summer I rode him English so he hadn't had my Fusion on in over a year... and the last time he did have it on the saddle strings and back cinch starred him mega time. So again I didn't make any assumptions but just took it one step at a time. Twosox didn't have any problem with it! Again I was surprised!! He took it like an old pro, didn't buck, run off, nothing!! We did some jumping, circles, Touch it, sideways, and some other stuff. 

When I felt that Twosox was ready to ride I got on. It was soooo nice riding Twosox in my saddle! Everything went perfectly and Twosox did a fabulous job. The two main things that we did some Follow the rail and Circles. We did Follow the rail first. Twosox offered to trot so I took it and we trotted a little ways and then I asked him to slow down. So then did some really nice transitions. Again I had to make sure that I didn't bother Twosox's head at all while he was trotting or he would break gait. I had to make sure that I had a totally casual rein. He is so sensitive! I love it! If I did have to correct Twosox while he was trotting I had to make sure that I was really soft. One really nice thing about riding Twosox in a saddle is that I could sit his trot! Which really helped because if I am off balance even a little bit Twosox will feel it and break gait. This horse is so fascinating. It really makes me thing about all that Prince puts up with! I am glad that God gave me Prince as my first horse and then Twosox second. I would not have wanted it any other way! 

After we got some really nice follow the rail we did circles. I had to really make sure that I used my body first and then just a VERY little bit of rein. If I used to much he would go to far and then we wouldn't be on a circle either. It took a little while for me to figure out everything but once I got it we got a great lap or two and then we went to the center. I really concentrated on where I was focusing, and everything else. Going to the right took way less time. I think we got it in something like two laps! Then we did some 9 step back ups. I experimented with how light I had to be so that Twosox would respond but not put his head up and get worried. It was interesting and I finally got it!! :) 

Then we ended. I got off and unsaddled. The nice thing was that there were no rub marks!! That is always nice to see :) Twosox didn't want to leave me after I let him go. He just stood there with me by the open gate and so we spent a little bit of time together before I went to pick up my equipment. Twosox  is really teaching me a lot!  

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. Hi Keri,
    I just read your blog for the first time and I want to tell you it's great! But this particular post I liked because you said how much a sensitive horse makes you realize how much the others ones put up with! After I went from a 20yr old horse to a 3yr old thoroughbred, I learned a LOT about sensitivity! But it was the best thing that could happen to me. I wish you well with all your animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you comment! I am glad that you have enjoyed reading my blog. That must have been a big change for you! :) I am very fortunate to have three horses, and each different horsenalities to learn on. They each teach me so much and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete