Saturday, May 8, 2010

Twosox: Yo-yo's and playing in the shelter...

May 7 2010

Today was incredible!!!!! I played with all three horses this afternoon and each playtime was wonderful!!

I started out playing with Twosox. We did some yo-yo's, getting them lighter and adding speed and distance. Then we went and played in the shelter. Twosox went in really nicely and was confident being in there. But when I asked him to back out he was okay most of the way but just after he got out I am not 100% sure what happened but he turned towards the fence, which was away from me, and bolted. So the rope was on the wrong side for me to do much. But the really cool thing was that he turned and face me!!! Then I was able to get the rope on the right side but he was really worried about it coming over his head. So we had to play with that. A lot of friendly game! He gained confidence quickly and so then we went back to the shelter. He was still okay going in so I asked him to come back out again and this time he was much better.

The next thing I am going to do with Twosox in the shelter is get him used to things making noise in there. When I had the chance to play with Twosox and a trailer last fall he was okay in the trailer but he was really unconfident with anything making noise while he was in there, same with the shelter. So I started tapping things with my carrot stick and doing different things. I could tell that Twosox wasn't okay with it but he stayed there with me and tried really hard! What a great horse! After a while he calmed down and was okay with me tapping the post.... :)

Ruffian had come part way over to the shelter and was looking at me. I really wanted him to come in to see how Twosox would do with another horse being in the shelter. So I sent Twosox to the other side and asked Ruffian to come in. He came in no problem. So I spent some time scratching him and loving on him while Twosox had some salt. I was really impressed at how well Twosox did! He has come a long way! After a while I took the halter off Twosox. He stayed in the shelter with me and Ruffian for a while and then left. It was really, really great! It will be interesting to see how Twosox does with a trailer the next time we get to play with one!!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment